I don’t imagine that a lot of dudes read this blog. But if you happen to be one, you may want to avert your eyes for this post. Seriously.
This Friday Favorite is all about recovering from having just delivered a baby. By the time I was ready to have my third baby, I had a pretty good idea of how I’d feel after. I also had a good idea of what I would want/need once I got home from the hospital. So I made myself a little recovery kit (for a vaginal delivery) and it was great. It meant I didn’t have to send my hubby to the store three times to get the stuff that I needed. My recovery kit was something like this:
- Pads – These are essential, of course. The hospital sent me home with a bunch but hello! They were ridiculously bulky. No thank you.
- Dermoplast – This spray is really soothing and is supposed to promote healing and prevent infection. I love it.
- Stool softener – Sorry ladies, it’s no fun to talk about, but that first BM after giving birth can be downright frightening. Stool softeners helped make it a lot less traumatic for me!
- Medicated hemorrhoid wipes – Another embarrassing fact, sometimes hemorrhoids happen. I was fortunate in that I escaped any major problems, but the wipe helped.
- Motrin – Just a good pain reliever for post-delivery and also breastfeeding safe. I also used it for pain relief caused by various nursing issues.
The hospital will give you stuff that you definitely want to take home with you! Disposable underwear—love. Steal (I mean ask for) as many as you can get. Squirt bottles (and stuff for a Sitz bath)—you need these for rinsing your nether region and you should get a couple so you can have them in different bathrooms you may be using at home. And sleeping pads. I’m referring to the kind that you can put underneath you on your bed at night. Just in case—they’ll help protect your sheets.
I doubt anyone really wants to jump in on this conversation but in case you do, did I forget anything? If you found something to be helpful after you had a baby, let me know!