My aunt (who is an excellent seamstress and sometimes teaches me) convinced me that I should make my daughter’s Easter dress this year. And holy cow, was it an adventure!
This was the pattern I used:
McCall’s 6875. The pattern was labeled “Easy” and I suppose comparatively speaking, that is probably true. For me, however, it was definitely the hardest pattern I’ve ever done! I am very glad I challenged myself, though, because I picked up some very useful skills. And I’m pretty happy with the finished product, which doesn’t hurt either.
Here’s how it turned out! If you look at the pattern, you’ll see that it includes a fabric flower. I did make that but decided I liked the dress better without it.
This was my first time installing a zipper in an item of clothing. The zipper was probably my biggest source of angst, even though it wasn’t that difficult. The problem was that I misunderstood the instructions so when I first put it in, I did it incorrectly and I ended up having to unpick it and do it all over again. I might have cried a little. However, when I tried the zipper the second time I figured out what I had done wrong and doing it again was actually quite simple. And now I know how to put in a zipper!
My second source of angst? All the hand-stitching that had to be done. Almost all of the lining edges had to be slip-stitched. It took forever. I had to put so many other projects and things on hold just so I could finish the dress in time for Easter. But you have to admit, the results are pretty fantastic.
You just can’t beat a nice lining, especially when it hides all of your seams!
For the record, my third biggest source of angst were the sleeves. I literally spent hours getting those just right.
And here is my little girl wearing it on Easter morning. This was seriously the best picture I could get. My kids are not good photo subjects. In all the other pictures, her hands were on top of her head and her eyes were closed! The dress was a little big on her. I could have adjusted it a little so it wouldn’t be quite so large, but I wanted her to be able to wear it for a long time (seeing as how I put so much work into it) so I just left it so she’d have room to grow! The biggest problem was that the arm holes are quite large and if she had her arms up, you could see right inside the dress. It will be fine when she grows a bit, but for now I solved that by having her wear a little camisole underneath.
And I think she had a happy Easter in it! Which is really all a mommy (sewer or not) wants.