Brides these days are so lucky!
Back when I got married, there was no Pinterest and smartphones didn’t exist. To get ideas, brides had to thumb through (and pay for) bridal magazines. And get this—my photographer used film because digital cameras weren’t really a thing. Eek! That makes me feel incredibly old!
These days, I feel like wedding planning has become a cinch! Brides have every idea and tool at their fingertips. Like I said, lucky!
Recently, I was introduced to Loverly, a fabulous wedding-planning tool and the only one you’ll ever really need! Through their amazing website and/or app, you can plan your entire wedding, from gathering ideas to hiring vendors. Even though I’m not a bride-to-be, I’ve spent a good deal of my “on the loose” time lately with their app, simply enjoying myself and daydreaming about marrying my dream-guy all over again! If you are a bride-to-be, you need this app. It’s free and oh, so much fun!
When Loverly asked me to come up with a makeup look for one of their fabulous wedding dresses, I was completely thrilled! When I got married, I had to do my own hair and makeup. We lived in a small rural community without a lot of access to professional stylists and makeup artists. Maybe you’re in a similar situation, maybe you just want to do makeup yourself, or maybe you’re going to hire a professional but you are looking for ideas. In any case, I’ve come up with a makeup tutorial that you’ll love! But first, let’s look at the dress:
Photo courtesy of and used with permission from Loverly
This was the dress I chose to use for my inspiration because it is lovely but fun, and just a little different, which is what I’m about these days. And it definitely spoke to me when it came to makeup. (Loverly has tons of gorgeous dresses in every style you could possibly want, so be sure to hop on over to their dress gallery to find the perfect dress for you!)
For the dress featured above, I just had to go with a slightly more dramatic eye—I mean, the bottom of the dress screamed it! But I also still wanted it to be pretty and soft. I also didn’t want the makeup to be too much—so I chose to mirror the dress in my overall look, with a more dramatic flair on top, and becoming more neutral as the eyes move down the face.
I love wearing this look. I worked on it last week and ended up wearing it on a fancy date night with my hubby—and I felt great in it!
So let’s talk about how it’s done:
For the eyes, I almost exclusively used my trusted Lorac Pro 2 palette. I also blended after each step. Doing the blending one at a time instead of all at once (like I usually do at the end of a look) keeps the look from getting too muddled.
After priming your lids, dust the entire eye area (from lash line to brow bone) with Buff. This helps cancel out any splotchiness in the eye area and provides a nice base for blending later on.
Next, add just a touch of Lt. Brown to your crease. It helps give your look a little dimension.
Then, put a hint of Chrome on both your inner and outer corners. If you want a lighter look, you can keep the smoke out of your inner corners, but I feel it helps create a dressier, more dramatic eye.
Once that’s done, apply Rose all over your lid, concentrating primarily on the center of your lid.
After you’ve blended that in, add a hint of Mocha into the crease and blend it in with the Lt. Brown.
Now, the Lorac Pro 2 is a fantastic palette with so many pretty shades, but I wanted the outer corners of my eyes to pop just a bit, and so I turned to my Vice 3 palette by Urban Decay to find just the color:
I added Alchemy quite generously to the outer corners of my eyes to give the look a bit more pop.
After applying the Alchemy, add just the tiniest bit of Charcoal (again from the Lorac Pro 2 palette) to the outer corner and blend it in with the Alchemy. This gives the look just a touch more smoke.
Once you’ve done that, go over any colors that you feel might have been lost with the blending and addition of other colors. I added on a little more Rose to the center of my lid.
Finally, you want to highlight the innermost corners of your eyes and just under your brows! I used Snow from the Lorac Pro 2 palette, which looks white in the palette, but is subtle and gorgeous on the skin.
And BOOM! Eyes done.
For the rest of my look, I kept things really soft, and went with a light, nude lip. I used my usual primer and Naked Skin foundation. Here are the other products I used:
- Ulta Glitter Eye Top Coat – This isn’t something that really translates in pictures, but it definitely looks pretty in person! I dusted this over my eye makeup to really make it shimmer.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Gel Liner in Plum – I lined my top lash line with this and then smudged it just a tiny bit because I am not a fan of harsh lines, especially not for a wedding. I have just recently fallen in love with gel liner and this is my favorite brand so far. It doesn’t irritate my eyes like other brands I’ve tried and it really lasts and lasts until you take it off.
- Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick in Saddle Shimmer – I used this to line my lower lash line for a pretty, but less harsh effect. I used the Shadow Stick in particular because this is also something that lasts all day! To line my lower lid, I simply took an eyeliner brush, swiped it on the shadow stick and then applied to my lower lash line.
- Subversion Lash Primer by Urban Decay – Definitely the best lash primer I’ve found, it does a great job of adding lots of extra volume to your lashes!
- Mally Volumizing Mascara in Black – Okay, I have to be 100% honest, I was originally planning on using the Perversion Mascara by Urban Decay, but I put all my makeup on and I literally could not find it anywhere (I found it two days later). I was so frustrated! Perversion is a fabulous mascara for really dramatic lashes and it is perfect for this look! But anyhow, what I actually used was the mascara by Mally, which is my second-favorite mascara. And it’s a great mascara if you want gorgeous lashes with a little less drama.
- Mally Perfect Prep Under Eye Brightener in Lighter – I’ve said this over and over, I LOVE this product. It is amazing at getting rid of dark circles under your eyes. Period.
- Mally Cancellation Concealer System in Light/Medium – I’ve just recently fallen in love with this concealer and paired with the under eye brightener, my eyes have never looked better.
- Mally Shimmer, Shape, & Glow in Lighter – This is a perfect highlight, contour, and blush all in one! I did just a touch of highlighting and contouring but I especially love the blush for this look because it is really, really natural looking.
- Tarte LipSurgence in Exposed and Mally High Shine Liquid Lipstick in Pearly Girl – I combined these for my lip look. I first went over my lips with the Tarte Lipsurgence and then added the Liquid Lipstick on top of that to create the perfect color!
Of course you should definitely finish off the look with a setting spray or finishing powder to give your makeup some staying power! I still love Urban Decay’s All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray but if you have oily skin, you might want to try the De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray (also by Urban Decay) instead.
And that’s it! You’re all set for your big day! And, as always, these are just ideas for you to play around with. It’s always great to take a look and give it your own personal twist!
And, just for fun:
Here’s one of my wedding pictures! Look at that those youngsters! Would you believe I was scared of wearing eyeliner back then? I’ve come a long way!
I hope you enjoy playing with this look. And if you’re getting married, be sure to check out Loverly and have fun planning!
I partnered with Loverly to bring you this post. I was not paid to write this post and all opinions regarding Loverly and their website and app are my own.
Did you enjoy this post? You might also like: