Happy New Year! I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing holiday!
This year, I’ve decided that I really want to simplify. And I hope with today’s post, I can start doing just that!
I love coming up with fun and somewhat elaborate makeup looks. But let’s be honest—most days I’m not into wearing fancy, elaborate makeup.
Most of the time all I want is something that is really fast and really easy—just enough to give my face a lift without putting tons on.
Anyone else with me on this?
Enter the really, truly, 5-minute makeup look. Actually, make that 4.5 minutes!
This is what I wear almost every single day. Even though it is so quick and simple, I love how I feel when I take the time to do this little routine. It is my reminder that I am important, and my needs are a priority.
And I think most moms could use that!
You ready? It’s easy!
First, a before picture:
No makeup, no shame! Nothing wrong with a bare face.
And after my 4.5 minute look. The difference is definitely subtle, but enough to give me a boost on those mornings when I’m tired (and I look it).
My 4.5 minute makeup routine is applied after my general skin care routine (moisturizer, eye cream, SPF cream, etc). I usually apply moisturizer and then do my hair before applying my makeup to give my skin time to absorb the moisturizer.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Primer all over the face – Primer is something you should always use before your foundation! A good primer will help reduce the appearance of pores and fine lines, seal your moisturizer in while blocking it from affecting the look of your foundation, and will help your foundation last longer than it would otherwise. I use Mally Beauty Perfect Prep Primer Glow. I love how it feels on my skin and I love how it makes my skin look!
- Light Foundation/BB Cream – If I’m not wearing a lot of makeup, then I don’t want to look like I’m wearing a lot of makeup! Which is why I use only a very lightweight BB cream for my quick and easy look. I started using the Naked Skin Beauty Balm a few months ago and I have fallen head-over-heels in love with it. BB creams have all kinds of benefits, and this particular one claims that it helps your skin improve over time. What I love about it is this: it is lightweight and has light coverage but still manages to make my skin look great. I LOVE this product!
- Eye Brightener/Concealer – Dark circles are a problem for me and so I use an eye brightener to help hide them. I’ve raved about this product before, and I’ll do it again: Mally Perfect Prep Under Eye Brightener. This stuff is absolutely amazing! It helps hide the dark circles and makes me look more awake. Nothing short of awesome.
- Eyebrow Filler – Ladies, filling in your brows is SO important. Do NOT skip this step! If your eyes are the windows to your soul, then your eyebrows are the window-dressings. Don’t neglect them! Filling in your brows helps give you more youthful look, it frames your eyes, and provides a general lift to your face. I use Too Faced Brow Envy Shaping & Defining Kit, and I’ve been pretty happy with it. There are other products I’d like to try, but overall this has been a good product for me.
- Blush – Adding blush is the perfect final touch! And, if you know me, you know my very favorite blush color is Tarte’s Exposed. And Exposed is absolutely perfect for my quick, everyday look, because it is so natural, it looks like I really just have a rosy flush in my cheeks, and not like I’m wearing blush. This might seem a bit redundant, but I actually like to use the Exposed Cheek Stain as a base, and then finish it off with the powder. I feel like it creates the perfect look that lasts all day.
One quick time-saving tip: Keep your everyday makeup products in their own bag, separate from the rest of your makeup. I keep all these products, and my foundation brush, in a mini-makeup bag. That way, each morning, I know exactly where every product is and I don’t have to spend time looking for each thing among all my other makeup products. Saves a TON of time!
Now, you don’t have to have these exact products look amazing! The key is to find products that you are happy with and that make you feel good. I absolutely love and recommend these products, but the important thing is to find what works for you.
A before- and after-shot side by side.
The ever-present struggle to come up with a good serious face. I think I did okay…?
And there you have it! As you can see, this makeup doesn’t solve all my beauty woes (can we say hello bags under my eyes?) but it provides a lift and helps me feel great about myself. And that’s what’s really important!
If you are not a big makeup-wearer, but would like to start wearing a bit more, this is the perfect place to start. If you’re a super-busy mom (and isn’t that all moms) who just wants a bit of a lift, try this! You might be surprised at how you feel!
Next, I can’t wait to show you how I expand on this to create quick and easy, slightly-dressier looks!
Have a great week!