Okay, so can you tell I’m a little behind? And it’s not just on this blog, I feel like it is in life, too! Ha ha. It happens to all of us sometimes…right? (Please at least tell me I’m not the only one!) In any case, there’s nothing like talking about Halloween in April. It’s okay, though, because just yesterday morning my four-year-old was telling me how much she loves Halloween. So apparently I’m not the only one with it on the brain!
This year (or last year, rather), my kids went as a Beauty and the Beast trio. And for some reason, my youngest would only pose like that. My hubby said the little man was channeling his inner Gaston.
I have already shared how I made my daughter’s Belle gown here. I seriously love making dresses this way, I may do it again this year!
For my son’s Beast costume, I relied heavily on the Simplicity 1509 pattern:
I used this for both the jacket and the vest.
For the jacket I just added some extra fabric to the bottom for the coat-tails.
Now, if you look at the pattern cover, you’ll see that one option includes a collar. But the collar was only for the front of the vest, it didn’t go all the way around, like I wanted it to for my son’s jacket. So I improvised instead.
It really wasn’t hard. Using a piece of parchment paper, I drew a rough outline of what I wanted the collar to look like. I used the parchment paper so I could trace around the neckline of the jacket/vest.
I cut out two pieces of contrasting (gold) fabric, sewed them right sides together, and turned them so the right sides were out. I left the inner part of the collar open, knowing it would get sewn up in the lining.
This was essentially how it looked after I basted it to the jacket. No, it isn’t completely beautiful and perfect, but once jacket all came together, you couldn’t even tell.
The trim ended up being a hot mess. I tried making my own piping and a couple other things and I just wasn’t happy with the finished product. Finally I just ended up folding a small piece of fabric in half and basting the raw edges along the edges of the jacket.
Once that was done, I sewed the jacket front and lining together, which swallowed up those raw edges. I left the arm holes open because I knew I’d be sewing on some sleeves. Because the pattern didn’t include sleeves, I again had to improvise. I was able to use the sleeves in the pattern from the Elsa dress I made and they worked perfectly. I also sewed little cuffs onto the sleeves and folded them up to look like how the Beast’s look. Then I simply sewed the finished into the “vest” and added buttons to the cuffs and the front of the jacket and voila! The jacket was complete.
For the vest, I took the same Simplicity pattern and simply made option A, with a few small differences. I sewed the front pieces together and left the back open, using Velcro instead of buttons.
The cravat was easy. I sewed two pieces of white fabric together, turned them, and slip-stitched the opening closed. I folded the finished rectangular piece over a piece that went around the neck and snapped in the back (just like in my Little Man Tie). To bring it all together, I just tied a button on the end of a clear rubber band and wrapped the rubber band around the cravat.
At first I wasn’t sure what to do about the head piece. I’d never made anything like that before! Luckily I came across this awesome tutorial for fleece hats. (This tutorial really is great, I’ve since used it to make regular ol’ fleece hats for my kiddos.) I used faux fur for the outer part and flannel for the lining and sewed the ears and horns into the top, as well as a little pony tail in the back. I also extended the ear flaps to wrap under his chin and added Velcro to attach the bottom pieces. It was really easy!
And that made up the Beast costume! I just used a plain white dress shirt and black pants and they worked out perfectly. It looked better when the shirt stayed tucked in but if you have a five year old boy, I’m sure you know how hard it is keeping shirts tucked in!
Last, but not least, came my little Gaston. To make his top, I made a shirt just like I did in my t-shirt tutorial. However, for this shirt I cut a deep neckline down the front and finished it with bias tape:
I improvised the collar the same way I did for the Beast costume above. Because I wasn’t making a lining for this shirt, I sewed the collar to the wrong side of the shirt, then flipped it to the right side and top-stitched it so it stayed down.
Once I tried the shirt on my little man, I realized I’d cut the neckline really low. It looked a little crazy, so I added some grommets and laces (similar to how I did here). Much better!
I quickly whipped up a pair of paints and made a belt using a black vinyl piece with Velcro sewn on the ends. I also used fabric glue to glue a golden vinyl “buckle” to the end.
The little Gaston! Please excuse the shoes.
And there you go! Our Halloween for 2014. I just love dressing my kids up in themed costumes. I won’t ever force them to do it, but as long as they are willing, then that’s what we’ll do! They are already plotting and planning their costumes for 2015 and I hope they stick to the plan, because it will be really fun!
Counting down the days until next Halloween!